My friend Mary and I love giving home-baked gifts. And since she is an amazing chef, I asked her to help me come up with one we could bake in jars and mail to friends. She created this amazing recipe for holiday bread!
- 8 8-oz Ball jars
- 2c flour
- 1-½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¹⁄₈ tsp nutmeg
- 1c buttermilk
- 1c sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ c vegetable oil
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1c peeled, diced apple
- ½ c dried cherries (you can substitute raisins or craisins)
- 1c chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease Ball jars.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, sugar, eggs, oil, zest, and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry mix. Give three good stirs (should be about half-way mixed) and add apples, cherries, and chocolate chips. Stir to combine. [Don’t overmix! It’ll make it tough.]
- Fill jars about ⅔ full. Bake 35min or until done.
- Cool completely. If they’ve overflowed, scrape off a bit so you can put the glaze and lid on (and taste it ;))!
- Then spoon 1 tbs of the glaze* on each and top with sprinkles (optional).
- Package them up pretty and send away 😀
*Glaze: Mix 1c powdered sugar with 1 tbs orange juice (from the one you just zested!).
I hope you’re enjoying my Handmade Holiday Blogathon! Feel free to share your favorite handmade gifts/recipes/tutorials, too