Interior design is one passion of mine. It’s a way of shaping the space we live in, of giving it a unique character to fit our lifestyles. It’s something I love to create and work on. In that spirit, I think it’s time to share with you our little space in the world.
We moved into this apartment at the end of November. We held our Christmas party two weeks later so that we’d unpack quickly. Well, we managed to unpack (!), but it took another couple weeks to get everything arranged just right, and to decorate with pictures on the walls and such. This month Alex and I have been working on our Style File for our home. We know we won’t be in this apartment forever, so we’re working on a vision of how we want our eventual home to look. Why buy things to fit in a temporary location? So we’re planning basic color palettes, fabrics, textures, and styles for each room.
I think our bedroom is the closest to “done,” although we have several things we still want to amend Right now the colors are grays and blues, but we eventually want to move to gray, silver, and a deep purple. We painted the walls a gray-blue color (over the icky taupe that was there) to create a cool, calming space. We have mainly low-profile furniture and a few of our favorite things displayed. This is the hardest place to keep uncluttered!
1. The heart tree painting looks great above our bed; I think it really fills in the space well. Alex will be repainting it soon with the new color theme!
2. We’ll eventually make a new bed (this one’s Ikea) – we’re still in the planning stages. I just made the body pillow (see the DIY here), and I have plans for a quilt.
3. Atop my dresser: Hand-painted tile mirror, jewelry box, cute photo of Alex, origami from a friend’s wedding, and an antique painting from my grandmother’s bedroom.
4. We’re also planning to build nightstands! My must-haves are shown: current books, sketchbook, reading lamp, my Batman alarm clock, and a basket for odds & ends.
5. “A is for amazing” print from our BFFs
6. I bought this vintage dresser for $10, then repainted it and added new handles for a fresh look! [What I checked for: the drawers slide smoothly, and no wobbles.]
7. Vintage, tufted, yellow velvet bench I inherited from my nana.
8. Grrr…dinosaurs from my last birthday party stand guard in front of my upcycled planters, which were wine bottles I cleaned for centerpieces at our wedding reception!
9. A little stuffed collection! From left to right: Mr. Polar Bear, Ox, Mr. Bonehead (made by my bestie), Moxie, Ice Bat. We may like Ugly Dolls 😉 In front is the i <3 u pillow I made!
It’s definitely a work-in-progress, but that’s one of the things we love about it. It’s hard to get something perfect when you have strong tastes, a limited budget, and love making things yourself! But in the end, it’s definitely worth it. What’s most important in our bedroom is comfort: soft colors, handmade touches, and some of our favorite things.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this little sneak peek into our home! I’ll keep them coming so you can see more of my style and what I like to make in my “free” time